Sunday, April 3, 2016

"B" is for Believable

Since my sister (in-law) moved to Hong Kong 4 years ago, I have found my improvisation skills have weakened. I miss my Lexus for many reasons but this reason proves that her absence is a detriment to me. Let me explain.

Lexus can be somewhat gullible. It has provided me with much amusement over the years. The way this usually manifests with me is that she will be wondering about something out loud and I provide the answer. More often than not, my answer is made up on the spot. However, Lexus finds them very believable. In her defense, I'm very good at making them sound plausible while keeping my face straight. Let's see if I can think of any example.

I just texted her to see if she remembers an actual example. Meanwhile, I'll make one up. One day, Lexus and I may be talking about some of the plays I've been in including Nunsense. Then in the midst of the conversation, Lexus will wonder, "I wonder why nuns wear those habits." The following is something I might tell her:

Well, you know how back in the early church, women always had their head covered? When Peter was named the first Pope, the Catholics want to still show respect but want to prove how they were better. So they took it further and covered themselves from head to foot. To differentiate themselves from the Muslims, they would leave their faces completely bare with the white framing to symbolize God's purity in their lives. 

Lexus would say, "Really?" then, "Wait, are you lying to me?"

Seems totally believable to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment